What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is an abnormal curving of the spine. Everyone’s spine naturally curves a tiny bit. But people with scoliosis have a spine that curves too much. The spine might look like the letter “C” or “S.” Scoliosis may be the result of detectable, cause-and-effect conditions or idiopathic (unknown cause).
Scoliosis causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Most of the time, the cause of scoliosis is unknown. This is called idiopathic scoliosis. It is the most common type. It is grouped by age.
- In children age 3 and younger, it is called infantile scoliosis.
- In kids age 4 – 10, it is called juvenile scoliosis.
- In older kids age 11 – 18, it is called adolescent scoliosis.
- Scoliosis most often affects girls. Some people are just more likely to have curving of the spine. Curving generally gets worse during a growth spurt.
Other types of scoliosis are:
Congenital scoliosis: This type of scoliosis is present at birth. It occurs when the baby’s ribs or spine bones do not form properly.
Neuromuscular scoliosis: This type is caused by a nervous system problem that affects your muscles, such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spinal bifida, and polio.
Symptoms of Scoliosis:
Usually there are no symptoms. But symptoms can include:
- Backache or low-back pain
- Tired feeling in the spine after sitting or standing for a long time
- Uneven hips or shoulders (one shoulder may be higher than the other)
- Spine curves more to one side
Kyphoscoliosis is another type of abnormal curving of the spine.
Treatment of Scoliosis:
Chiropractic manipulative treatment of scoliosis will help:
- By freeing up movement at each segmental level, the spine is kept more flexible and scoliosis is less likely to progress.
- By reflex reaction, adjusting (manipulation) of the cervical spine may influence righting reflexes in an effort to balance the spine.
- Removal of segmental dysfunction may eliminate sources of aberrant sensory input and consequent output problems such as pain and accompanying muscle spasm.
- By leveling the pelvis and sacrum a scoliosis can be corrected.
Manhattan Wellness Group have put together a group of highly trained and professional individuals who can work alone in their specific scope. However, these professionals are best utilized in our integrative model of care, which joins all their unique skills together to provide better care and faster relief. This model of care is comprised of a holistic Chiropractic approach that utilizes advanced physiotherapy modalities, therapeutic exercises, nutrition, traction decompression and joint manipulative techniques. We use Chinese herbs and Acupuncture to address such issues as nerve problems and arthritic pain. We selectively pick medical massage therapists that are highly skilled and trained to work closely with the doctors and acupuncturist to enhance therapeutic approaches and to support the overall treatment plan. All services are provided at both the Brooklyn Heights and Midtown Manhattan locations.